The Daily Photo – Saturday 16 September, 2023
Invercargill Water Tower.
Three hundred thousand bricks were used in the construction of the Invercargill Water Tower. Built in 12 months and opened in 1889 the water tower was part of Invercargill’s first high water pressure system, with the tower “beautifying” the steel tank that contained 300,000 litres of water.
Unfortunately, the city council decided to close the lookout on the tower to the public in February 2012, deeming the structure an earthquake risk.
Estimates to strengthen the tower ranged from 1.4 to 4 million dollars at the time, so subsequently the tower remains closed due to the high cost.